September 10, 2009

Untitled



Since her children left home she has been cooking much less. Her recipe book which has pasted scraps and cut outs from weekend supplement magazines or newspaper is resting on the headboard next to the picture frame of her kids when they were nine and eleven.
Some good years ago there was a time when she would simply not hear of those exotic smelling soaps for the skin. She insisted malai, besan and coconut oil were the essentials to a healthy-glowing complexion. Of course I fancied the shampoos and those beauty bars the emigrant aunt would get from abroad but she never relented.
These days she calls often, sometimes even up to four to five times in a day. I sometimes feign a patient ear (being not at all a phone person). She asks me,
``Do you remember if I used to put tomatoes in UP waali saunf-aloo sabzee?''
``Certainly not. You were never a fan of tomatoes, anyways.''
She agrees and is plainly irritated at her frequent forgetfulness. Then the other day she sounded troubled over her thinning hair (result of taking prescription medication to treat diabetes), wondering hopefully if I could suggest a remedy or a shampoo. I tell her about Fab India stuff that I swear by. And as always she readily believes I know the best.
Before hanging up she asks again if I will be able to make it home for Diwali. ``The ticket is booked,'' I assure her.

11 comments:

IdleMind said...

Your mom, I guess. And you have your way to pay tributes with minimal use of words. More than the recipe, shampoo and tomato, I could sense the warmth of a wonderful relation brewing.

Enjoy ur Diwali ... with the light and the lighted guidance from her. Keep the warmth intact!

Tulika Verma said...

touching..beautiful...

Diwakar Sinha said...

you look like somebody with deep knowledge/interest in literature which I appreciate very much.
and about the post, i too have the same thing to say,
touching and beautiful. :)

IdleMind said...

you said muse? I wrote about it long time back ... ppl keep asking ... but no luck either.

To drink is to be solemn at heart ... can't corrupt myself, hehehe

Tried to frighten a cat last night ... left it midway, found it no match to me!

The lady love? Dumb me, never knew love poems could be without them! thanks a ton!!

christina said...

How beautiful!
Her calls, sound lovely.
: ) thank you, for the visit.

will said...

You have a most unusual blog - and I mean that in a positive way. Lyrical, a bit vague and personal. Be pleased.

emmgee said...

Lovely blog.

Bee said...

Conversations with mothers tend to have universal elements, I think!

Thank you so much for visiting my blog, and I've enjoying visiting yours, too; BUT, I'm wondering if you might consider using a light color of font if you are going to use the black background. I really had to strain to read this.

As the Mind Meanders said...

You said so much... and yet so little...

Unknown said...

Hey, your line are byfar very different from at least what i have read, very nice, keep the good work going! & the paintings, they are beautiful!

workhard said...

Hey.. moms love is always unique..

Hope shes doing good... how is here diabetes now..



Make website india