September 2, 2009

Hello, Reader, just talking



I like my ice cream halfway melted
always avoid coleslaw in my burger
and blush at the drop of the hat.
I hug trees and trust me it doesn't look ridiculous
I think Vega's songs have the soporific cadency of poetry
I find prolific out-of-kilter cliches and phrases in Cohen's lyric poems
I know Jimmy Page was not a charlatan
and Clapton, uh nevermind
I find this fact amusing that Steely Dan is named after a giant steam powered dildo featured in some novel
and that 10 cc claimed its superiority over the average 9 cc sperm count
I think Swift is entitled to more than a passing consideration
and Coleridge was the ultimate dreamer
I turn to Gulzar and Kabir for comfort when I want to unburden.
Perhaps a lesser known nazm but very distinctly Gulzar I am putting down here. For the not so familiar with Urdu reader I have translated a few phrases at the bottom.

Mod pe dekha hai wo boodha-sa ek ped kabhi ?

Mera waqif hai, bahut salon se mein use jaanata hoon

Jab mein chhota tha to ik aam udaane ke liye

Parli deewar se kandhon pe chadha tha uske

Jaane dukhti huee kis shaakh se jaa paanv lagaa


Dhaad se phenk diya tha muje neeche usne


Meine khunnas main bahut phenke the pathar us par

Meri shaadi pe mujhe yaad hai shaakhein dekar

Meri vedi ka hawan garm kiya tha usne

Aur jab haamla thi 'Biba' to dopahar main har din

Meri biwi ki taraf kairiyan phenki thi isi ne

Waqt ke saath sabhi phool, sabhi patti gaye

Tab bhi jal jaata tha jab Munne se kehti 'Biba'

'Haan,usi ped se aaya hai tu, Ped ka phal hai'

Ab bhi jal jaata hoon. jab mod se gujarte mein kabhi

Khaanskar kehta hai, 'Kyo, Sar ke sabhi baal gaye?'

Subah se kaat rahe hain woh Kameti wale


Mod tak jaane ki himmat nahin hoti mujhko
...............

parli (on the far side)
haamla (pregnant)
Biba (the wife)
kairiyan (the raw green mangoes)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hindi lines..
really TAREEFEIN KABIL!

human being ka nature ke saath jo sabse bada rista hai, wo bahot khuub samjaya hai,
hum jahan apna bachpan gujarte hai, jahan bade hote hai wahan ki har ek cheez, har ek baat bahot yaad rahe jaati hai, aksar..

nice post..

IdleMind said...

Loved this self-talk, knowing that you don't talk much!

Gulzaar saab is superb ... the inter-relation between the tree, the marital life ... waah ji, maza aa hi gaya!!

As the Mind Meanders said...

You dont need to do tags... do you???? :-)

As the Mind Meanders said...

And what is the story behind the blog name???

workhard said...

U ve got a cool blog....

Make website india