November 11, 2009

Cyclone alert, my bloody ass


Last evening was at Worli, by the sea. Good idea, left the umbrella back in the car, bad idea, was in denims and a cold shoulder top. Took off the scrunch and let my hair loose. Rolled up the frayed ends of my jeans. Walked over to the bench, the one at the distant end, unoccupied, all of them. Hugged my knees to the chest, resting my chin. The sea, a disparate version of Monet’s unflawed watercolours. Pelt down through the murky, weakening light. Still too early to return. Missed ma's divine bhuna gosht, a ritual every monsoon..she makes it fiery with pepper corns and lal mirch that goes in the phoron.
Shivered uncontrollably. Noisy chatter of the teeth. Cuddled up closer, tighter.
On my way back, a frankie at the Linking Road, pretty decent. Two of the old fashioned doughnuts, the ones dusted with powdered sugar, supple and warm. Another two take-away for the just in case post-midnight-sweet-yen.
Two days, two nights, the out of season gentle sprinkle continues today.
All this and there is no diversion.

14 comments:

IdleMind said...

So sad the lady lost the cyclone :(

I'm also a cyclone freak ... and was on the road when Aila was blowing venom ...

Bhuna gosht or Ilish bhaja ... the crave for a mouth watering object remains!!

vicious said...

for me its always a combination of monsoon and fried chicken ...mmmmmm...bliss!!!

vicious said...

to go to the beach expecting a cyclone was quite a daring thing , i muss say :)

Anonymous said...

Your writing almost like a cyclone, with the read swirling down the page in rapid movement.An enjoyable read for me.

Amit Kumar Das said...

Sitting by the sea shore on a cyclone-threatened day ... daring I should say!!!.... well for me no bhuna gosht or ilish bhaja .... I like kichuri with aalo-bhaja ... :)
BTW... thanks for stopping by ... keep walking!!!

I am Alive said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
I am Alive said...

It always amused me.. Why our meteorological dept. always love to to put foot in their mouth ...Phyan my a**

Ajai said...

Ah... what a way to spend a rainy day. brilliant. :)

itsyvitsy said...

I was happy that Phyan lost its fan-power. But for you to go up to the sea, fold the frayed ends of your denims and take the farthest bench to sit was friggin' insane! If you had been swept away, I would have missed your blog posts forever. Next time you get such suicidal tendencies, please think of us, your poor fans. Phyan is not important; your blog fans are. ;-)

On a serious note, all this halla-gulla speaks volumes (derog.) of our meteorological department.

itsyvitsy said...

I was happy that Phyan lost its fan-power. But for you to go up to the sea, fold the frayed ends of your denims and take the farthest bench to sit was friggin' insane! If you had been swept away, I would have missed your blog posts forever. Next time you get such suicidal tendencies, please think of us, your poor fans. Phyan is not important; your blog fans are. ;-)

On a serious note, all this halla-gulla speaks volumes (derog.) of our meteorological department.

Unknown said...

Hi,

Hope you are doing well! This is Anamika Tiwari from Webneetech.com. At present we are interviewing entrepreneurs and now we are starting another section to feature (interview) bloggers and their blog on webneetech.com

We find your blog bit interesting and would like to feature your interview on our website.

I was not able to find any contact details of yours so using this comment box. Please let me know your email id or else contact us on i.webneetech@gmail.com, so that we can send you the questionnaire and feature you on webneetech.com Please visit www.webneetech.com to know more about us.

Regards,
Webneetech.com

Nikki... said...

I too was waiting with bated breath, but it was all for nothing.. One thing I have learned - do not trust our weather department :)

Sandeep Balan said...

loved your descriptions.....wow! :-)

kanishk said...

the crave for a mouth watering object remains

Work From Home